Monday, March 10, 2008

TAMPONS

This past Saturday, March 8, was International Women's Day. I asked my boyfriend, "What are you doing for me today?" He studied abroad in Cuba, which, like all communist countries, actually celebrates the holiday. Apparently, it didn't make a big impression on him, though. "Treating you well, just like I do every day" he replied. "Aw, that's sweet," I said, "but in Poland they give the women flowers."*

Clearly, I had to find another way to celebrate. So I put on my comfiest pj's, curled up in bed and read a large portion of Our Bodies Ourselves. One section discussed menstrual products ("sanitary napkins"), and touched very briefly upon their environmental impact, which is huge.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is a post about menstruation. PERIODS! TAMPONS! PADS! BLOOD! VAGINA! Ok, I think I've gotten it all out of the way. Hopefully, some of you are still with me, especially the ladies, since this is an International Women's Day special just for us (fellas can read if they want.... if they all haven't abandoned ship by now). I know this is a topic that's considered taboo or at least impolite, embarrassing, or awkward--but it's precisely because people find it hard to talk about that menstrual product activism hasn't taken off. It's because it's not a "sexy" cause that the fairly easily relieved environmental impact is still so great. So let's talk about it.

If you use 20 pads or tampons per period, and have your period once a month from age 12 to 47, that's 8,400 pads and tampons in your lifetime. There are three billion of us (women) on earth, and about 150 million of us in the United States... that's a lot of pads and tampons. Unfortunately, many tampons are flushed down the toilet, which means that tampons (and applicators) often litter the water of our beaches. Many tampon applicators are plastic, which means they don't biodegrade (mainstream tampons biodegrade in six months). Mainstream pads also come wrapped in plastic, and are lined along the bottom in plastic, which means they have a permanent place of honor in our landfills. In addition, those pads and tampons had to come from somewhere- cotton farms that could be left as forests or used to grow corn for biofuel or any number of other products, lessening the burden on the land.

Furthermore, we have the issue of dioxins. The wood pulp used to make mainstream tampons and pads is bleached early in the process. There is no reason for this use of chlorine, which then pollutes the earth, except to make the tampons and pads seem "clean" and "fresh"- the irony is delicious, no? The bleaching process leaves behind dioxins as a byproduct- dioxins are considered by the FDA to be likely cancer-causing agents. The bleach-dioxins add to the dioxins already in the cotton from pesticide use during growth. Our vaginae (Blogger is telling me the Latin plural is correct for vagina) are more sensitive and absorbent than most other parts of our bodies. Why expose them to poisons when we don't have to- why take risks we can easily avoid?

Oh, and did I mention pads increase the risk of yeast infections?

Now, before I talk about solutions, I feel I should 'fess up to something: I am a part of the problem. Yes, I am a mainstreamer, a Tampax and Always woman. I'm helping fill the landfills and possibly poisoning my body in the process. But, after researching these solutions, I am resolved to try at least one of them. Who knows, perhaps in a couple months I'll be able to write an entry about how each possible "solution" to the menstrual product environmental problem feels and functions. I'm all for saving the environment, but I also like wearing bathing suits and playing soccer.

Before I get into each possible solution, here's the link to the Our Bodies Ourselves page about these products. One other note: props to my housemate Emily for having tried many of these products and telling me all about them.

1. The solution that requires the least change but also creates the least change (but a lot better than no change!) is using organic 100% cotton tampons and pads. This gets rid of the chlorine/dioxin problem, and the plastic applicators, wrap, and lining. It doesn't reduce our use of cotton, but it minimizes the environmental effects post-use, because they're 100% biodegradable. Emily says they work well and she's never had a problem with leakage (which I thought might be a concern because there's no plastic lining on the bottom). The pads are a little thicker than mainstream pads, and the cotton can start to separate a little if you've been wearing it for a while or moving around a lot. The tampons are a little drier than mainstream ones. But hey, they're less likely to give you cancer! I saw an Amazon.com listing for a 12 pack of 20-tampon boxes (that's 240 tampons) for about $50. That's a good deal, and let's be honest- we've got pretty good biological evidence that we'll use them all eventually. I'll probably choose to buy some organic cotton tampons and pads, just as a back up in case the other "solutions" I try don't work out in all situations. The devil you know, right?

2. Reusable pads. An example of this is GladRags. They're made out of cloth (you can even make them yourself from old clothing!) and consist of an outer layer that's shaped vaguely like a mainstream, winged pad. the "wings" snap together under your underwear, holding the pad in place, and there's a slot into which you can insert little cloth fillers (about the size and shape of panty-liners). You can put a different number of fillers in (or none) depending on how heavy your flow is that day. There is a bigger reusable pad for overnight. When you want to change it, you just wash out the main pad and the fillers. Apparently they're really comfortable, although they are thick, because they wrap all the way around to snap underneath. Bonus for gardeners and people who don't share bathrooms with others who might get freaked out: if you soak the pad in water in a jar or something before washing it, you can use the menstruation-water to fertilize your garden. It looks like the day pads are around $10-15 each, and the overnight pads are $15-20. You can also make some for yourself for FREE (my favorite word!), if you're up for an environmental craft project. They last for five years, at least. Reusable pads sound really cool to me, especially since you can make them out of recycled materials, but... I do my laundry as rarely as possibly, so I don't know if this is a good choice for me.

3. Cups. Check out keeper.com for more details (and nifty visuals)- Keeper is the most common brand of menstrual cup. It a gum-rubber or silicone (for those allergic to latex) cup with a little stem coming out the bottom. You fold the cup twice, insert it in your vagina, then pull gently down on the stem. It suctions in place and you can even use it while you're swimming. The cup holds about an ounce of fluid- and most women only menstruate four or five ounces. The website says you might end up changing it twice a day (just pull it out--upright--then tip it over into the toilet), but I'd probably empty it each time I was in the bathroom. You can wash it with soap and water, and between periods you can store it in a little cloth bag they give to you. I have no idea how this feels, but the website mentioned that some women choose to cut off up to half of the "stem" for comfort. The Keeper costs $35, lasts for ten years, and is available on their site or in Whole Foods and other stores. I think this is the one I'm going to try first.

4. The Sea Pearl. This is a reusable tampon made out of a sea sponge. Unfortunately, our seas are even more polluted than our land, and that pollution can become concentrated in organisms like sea sponges. Our Bodies Ourselves said that because of this, many women who us the Sea Pearl choose to boil it in water for ten minutes before first use. Elle Bee (EO's resident environmental scientist), please tell me- does that actually work? Does boiling things remove pollutants? Apparently the boiling makes it slightly smaller and less flexible each time you do it. You can clean them by boiling them, soaking them in vinegar, or some other options. They last about six months, and cost about $5 each from GladRags. I don't know anyone who's personally tried sea sponge tampons. I probably won't try it, because of the pollution thing.

That's all I've got. Remember to check out the Our Bodies Ourselves page for more info on these products, as well as others I didn't mention because I'm getting tired. I hope you had a happy International Women's Day!




*Please note: my boyfriend is awesome and this story about him is merely for comedic effect.

12 comments:

Emily said...

Great article and intro to the topic! Below are some links where you can get patterns to make your own super-duper reusable pads. The fun part is, you get to pick whatever fabric patterns you want - fleece santa clauses, anyone?

http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~obsidian/clothpads/DIYpads/DIY.html
http://www.diapersewing.com/clothpads.htm
http://bloodsisters.org/bloodsisters/images/makepads.pdf

oh, and very nice use of the word 'vaginae.' I'm adding it to my lexicon immediately.

Lauren B said...

First, I want to say that I know at least 2 of my coworkers have tried the cups and swear by them. In fact, one lost hers for a little while and was horrified at the thought of returning to traditional methods. I think they are definitely worth a shot!

On to re-useable sponge tampons: First, I am by no means an expert marine biologist, but from what I do know about marine science, I don’t think marine pollution would build up more in sponges than in any other ocean organism. In general, pollution problems in the oceans are due to bio-accumulating chemicals (substances that enter the body at a faster rate than they leave, and so build up to terrifyingly high levels over time). As smaller ocean creatures are eaten by larger ones, these toxins (like mercury and PCBs) are passed in ever greater concentrations up the food chain. This puts the largest marine creatures at greatest risk. As a matter of fact, if a whale were to die on land, all the accumulated chemicals in its body would necessitate its carcass to be handled as hazardous waste. Sponges are VERY low on the food chain, and so I would imagine that using a sponge tampon would not expose you to anything you hadn’t already encountered eating seafood. Sponge tampons do pose another environmental concern though. In most areas sponges and corals are not harvested sustainably, and this is a major cause of reef decline worldwide. In honor of 2008 being the International Year of the Reef ads are running throughout the US advising the public what to do to help protect reefs. Five top issues were selected for these ads, and over-harvesting was one of them. The ad warns “don’t give corals as presents! Corals are gifts just by being in reefs!” On the other hand, it is possibly that there are sustainable sponge farms/harvesting operations who manufacture these products. And it should be taken into account that a 1-time purchase of a non-sustainably-harvested sponge tampon may be more environmentally friendly than sending a year’s supply of them into the ocean or a landfill.

Link to whales as toxic waste: http://www.royalalbertamuseum.ca/edu/infobyte/whales.htm

Link to International Year of the Reef site: http://www.iyor.org/

Anonymous said...

I use a diva cup and cloth pads. I do this primarily for environmental reasons and also for cost issues.
They work extremely well for me and I feel like it's healthy for me and the environment. There are lots of makers for pads out there or you can make your own-not that hard to do. (They are really comfortable too!)Using a medical grade silicone cup takes care of the potential problem of latex allergies. I would never go back to disposables.

Anonymous said...

I have used cloth pads for about seven months now, and I can't even imagine going back to disposable. I did it at first for the environment, not even thinking about the harm disposables might be causing my body- I wasn't aware of the chemicals in disposable pads and tampons. I was kind of grossed out at the thought of using cloth pads at first, but the more I researched them, I found that they really weren't that big of a deal to care for. And now that I am using them, I have found that to be fact. The comfort is superior- no more sticky tape giving me a wax job- and I love the different prints I have to chose from each month. I know it sounds hard to believe, but I don't resent my period anymore.

Midge said...

I disagree that the Keeper is the most common menstrual cup. They are the ones that put out the first cup of the most recent days (they existed back in the early 1900's too), but Diva cup has almost certainly passed them. I use a Diva, and have for over 2 years now. Love it!

heather~* said...

I have been using a divacup for about 3 cycles now, and i LOVE LOVE LOVE it! You only have to worry about it twice a day, and it's so comfortable you don't even know it's there. And i feel awesome that i'm saving money and the environment at the same time! :)

Carmen Machado said...

I did research on alternative menstrual products a few years back. The reason I don't use them now this twofold: 1.) I can't use menstrual cups because my body doesn't like them and 2.) there's just no way to wash out sea sponges or reusable pads when you live in a house with five people. Perhaps when I have my own place I'll look into them again - I'd like to save money and be environmentally friendly. That would be very sexy of me.

Anonymous said...

There are several brands of pads and tampons that are biodegradable. Natracare is completely biodegradable from what I recall. The pads are made with organic cotton and contain no plastic. However, the only downside is not all of the pads come with wings, which can be annoying because then it's easier to get leaks. Also, some of the pads are quite thick. Otherwise they are very good. Also, 7th Generation makes some natural pads, and they have wings. Although I don't think they are as biodegradable as Natracare. Natracare also makes tampons with organic cotton and they have cardboard applicators, much more friendly on the earth than plastic ones.

And then there's reusable pads and things. I have several reusable pads from Glad Rags. They are made of cotton and have little snaps to keep them in place as well as material you can change out to make sure you're not leaking. However, the drawback of reusable pads is they are bulky and not very convenient. As in, if you are at work you have to carry a bloody pad around until you can get home and wash it. Also, you may not be able to do laundry right away, in which case you will have a used pad sitting around. Kind of gross and not very roommate friendly.

Then there are reusable cups, like the diva cup or moon cup. I don't think they are made of plastic but they are plastic-y and squishy. The moon cup/diva cup is the most environmentally friendly and most convenient. It's also expensive (around $30) but totally worth it. Basically you empty out the cup, wash it with soap and then reuse it. There are two problems with the moon cup, for me anyway. One, it's messy. You have to pull the cup out . . . (do you see where I'm going here?). And two, it doesn't seem to catch everything. I still need to wear a pad or a pantyliner to make sure I don't stain my underwear with the moon cup. But on the other hand it's great for traveling because I don't have to pack a box of pads or tampons. I've heard the diva cup is fantastic. I'm not sure if it has the same leak problems as the moon cup does.

NattyBo said...

I have been using a diva cup for almost a year and I L-O-V-E it. To respond to Bex's post above, I personally do not have any leak issues anymore. It did take me about two cycles to fully understand/master the "placement" of the diva cup. Also, I have seen the moon cup and think that the diva cup is superior. Mine is silicone instead of rubber (aka easier to fold) and has a smaller, softer stem. I remember seeing the moon cup's stem and cringing! No wonder women cut them down! They are long and really stiff (aka not too vagina-friendly).

Every time I use my diva cup, I think of all the money, worry (you do only have to change it every 12 hours or so), and landfill space I am saving. There is NO way I will go back to pads and tampons. This is so much more economical, less stressful, and more friendly to our mother earth. I am so glad that you guys discussed this topic in your blog!!

HygieneAndYou said...

Stop struggling from using the regular sanitary pads during your monthly periods. Today, a lot of changes and innovative items have reached in the market which has reduced the trouble and discomfort of periods like washable pads, period panties, menstrual cups and the list goes on and on. HygeineAndYou will help you in adding all these to your list with selecting and buying options. So, what are you looking for, come at https://hygieneandyou.com and help us comfort your periods.


Menstural Cup Manufacturer | Buy Lunette Cup | How To Use Sckoon Cup Menstural Cup | How To Use Tampax Menstural Cup | How To Use V Cup Menstural Cup | Period Panty & Period Underwear | Reusable & Washable Sanitary Pads or Napkins

Retail Pharma said...

Helllo, thanks for posting this informative and useful post. your blog is very nice, such useful information is very accurate and I love learning more on this.

Sirona Premium Digital Tampon are designed to be easily inserted into the vagina during menstruation& absorb the menstrual flow. They are made up of compressed layer of highly absorbent fibers.

Retail Pharma said...

Helllo, thanks for posting this informative and useful post. your blog is very nice, such useful information is very accurate and I love learning more on this.

Sirona Premium Digital Tampon are designed to be easily inserted into the vagina during menstruation& absorb the menstrual flow. They are made up of compressed layer of highly absorbent fibers.